In honor of Earth Day, here are a few tidbits about Mother Earth, along with some tips on how to keep her thriving. Remember, when Mom is happy, everyone’s happy.
- Earth is the only planet not named after a Greek or Roman deity. So there’s that.
- 70% of our planet is covered in water. Gulp.
- You can fit 1,300,000 Earths inside the sun. Okay, technically that’s more about the sun, but still…whoah!
- Our planet is spinning at about 1,000 miles per hour. No wonder so many of us have bad hair days.
- There are more living organisms in a teaspoon of soil than there are people on Earth. It is a small world, after all.
Earth Day Tips
1. Install Geothermal Heating & Cooling – Geothermal systems tap into the Earth's constant temperature, burn no fossil fuels, and are 3-5X more efficient than a gas forced air system.
2. Install Energy Star® appliances – According to the energystar.gov website, if just 1 household in 10 bought heating and cooling equipment that has earned the Energy Star, we would prevent annual greenhouse gas emissions of 12 billion pounds (1.1 million cars). For a list of certified products, visit energystar.gov.
3. Install low-flush toilets - replacing a typical 3.5-gallon toilet with a 1.6 gallon model will save a family of four 11,096 gallons of water per year.
4. Fix a leaking faucet - A faucet leaking just one drop per second wastes over 1,300 gallons per year! A leak from a hot water source wastes both water and fossil fuel, creating more greenhouse gasses. Most repairs to plumbing fixtures pay for themselves within just a year.
5. Replace bulbs with CFLs – compared to regular bulbs, CFLs last 10 times longer, use only 1/4 the energy and pro-duce 90% less heat, yet they produce more light per watt.
6. Get Preventive Maintenance – maximize the efficiency of your home by having your systems checked in the spring and fall. Getting your equipment tuned up, repaired or replaced will keep your home at peak performance.
7. Recycle and Reuse – It's more than just a slogan. You can start making the world a 'greener' place today: return hangers to the cleaners, donate clothing and computers to charities, pack lunches in reusable containers instead of bags, there are hundreds of easy things to do.
There are many ways to celebrate Earth Day. For a fun list of ideas, visit http://www.wikihow.com/Celebrate-Earth-Day.
McElroy's is a leader in mechanical contracting and service for plumbing, heating and air, serving Topeka and the surrounding area for 65 years. Let us help your home or business do its part for the planet. For more information about McElroy's, visit mcelroys.com, or call 785-266-4870.